Monday, March 16, 2009

Apologies and Clarifications

I want to apologize if anyone has taken my remarks on the relationship of St. Michael's and St. Paul's personally or as attacks. That was never my intention and I tried to avoid it coming across that way. I have meant no disrespect to either Fr. Don or Rev. Eastman and wasn't attempting to attack them, nor to imply any ill motivations to them. If some comments seemed impolitic, then I apologize.

My purpose in posting my thought process on this issue was to hopefully provoke us to look a little deeper at what our actions are saying as opposed to what words might actually be said. As incarnational beings, and Catholics, images (e.g. a woman in a Roman collar) are very important and the people we place in official capacities imply endorsement. This is why, for example, the bishops have said that persons who publicly support abortion aren't to be given any kind of speaking platform in Catholic churches, universities or organizations. (No matter how much the instructions are ignored, this is what the bishops have asked.)

If I did not care to make St. Michael's the best Catholic church it could be, I would have kept silent or grumbled to myself or, as someone suggested, just pack my bags and leave, but I do care and wanted to see what others thought about what I saw as a possible inconsistancy in our witness.

No comments: