Friday, August 21, 2009

Reflection While Showering

I was showering early in the afternoon on one of those rare weekdays that I was off from work. The hot water felt so wonderful trickling down my body creating a sense of warmth and comfort. [Warning; please do not try to envision this scene as it may be detrimental in producing the intended effect of this reflection.]

This is not the first time that the following thoughts have occurred to me. Quite often it occurs to me, while showering, that I have been particularly blessed by God with the ability to perform such an everyday function. A function which is not readily available to many people in this world.

And so my thoughts go from the blessings of the shower to a consideration of the many other blessings, small and large, that have been heaped upon me by the good Lord. And my mind naturally turns toward gratitude. It is not that I feel that I don't express gratitude for these blessings, rather I ask myself the question, "Do I show enough gratitude?" Of course, I'm asking myself this question in the comfort of a nice home in a nice suburb, living a life in which I have wanted for very little. Most of my time is spent tending to the small everyday tasks that I find necessary. Do I spend enough of my time, talent, and treasure in gratitude to the Lord for all he has given me? I don't know and it's probably a question I'll be asking myself when I am asked to meet Him.

Whenever I express this idea to others they often respond that I might be just a little guilty of scrupulosity. Perhaps I am. Who of us is able, though, to go through life without considering such a question? Do I give enough? I'll never know the answer in this life. I do think however that regardless of what the answer to that question might be at any point in time I should strive all the time to be more like St. Francis who was willing to give it all away or more like St. Therese who was willing to spend her entire life praying and serving others.

Lord help me to be equal to the task. Amen

No comments: