Monday, December 27, 2010

Keeping the bubble inflated



A good friend told me once that I live in a bubble. My wife wholeheartedly agrees. In a not so obvious association I was pondering the reasons why I go to daily Mass. The realization finally came that I use the Mass to keep the bubble inflated.

I can pray there and not be looked at askance. I can ponder things like:

Nation shall not lift up sword against nation,
The wolf shall live with the lamb
The nursing child shall play over the hole of the asp,
They will not hurt or destroy on all my holy mountain

I can hear promises like:

Those who mourn will be comforted
The meek will inherit the earth
Mercy for the merciful
The sight of God for those who are pure of heart

I can ponder and believe in lofty ideals without the corroding effect of the world’s cynicism. I can do all this with people of a like mind who will be my shield when I take these ideals out into the world. I know I will not be chastised by my fellow worshipers who live in the bubble along with me.

I don’t believe them to be lofty ideals because they are difficult or impossible to attain although that may be true. They are lofty ideas because they elevate the mind above the day to day concerns of our lives. They offer us hope in the face of all the discomfiture we experience out in the “real” world.

So I go to Mass as often as I can to get pumped up, to keep my bubble inflated. May the Lord bless my bubble!

1 comment:

FiliaPrima said...

May God bless your bubble and have a merry new year. I really like this.