Thursday, June 14, 2012

God of Knowledge

How many things have passed  through my brain in the course of my life, O my God! How many things have I thought and learned!

… most of what I have learned, I have learned in order to forget it again and thus to experience concretely, even in the area of knowledge, my own poverty, narrowness, and limitation.

Oh God, it is good to forget. In fact, the best part of most of the things I once knew is precisely the fact that they could be forgotten. Without protest, they have sunk gently and peacefully out of sight. And thus they have enabled me literally to see through them in all their inner poverty and ultimate insignificance.

Knowledge seems more like a kind of pain-killing drug that I have to take repeatedly against the boredom and desolation of my heart. And no matter how faithful I may be to it, it can never really cure me. All it can give me his words and concepts, which perform the middle man's service of expressing and interpreting reality to me, but can never still my heart's craving for the reality itself….

How can we approach the heart of all things, the true heart of reality? Not by knowledge alone but by the full flower of knowledge, love. Only the experience of knowledge’s blooming into love has any power to work a transformation in me… it is only in love that I am fully present--not in bare knowing, but in the affection engendered by knowing.

Only knowledge gained through experience, the fruit of living and suffering, fills the heart with the wisdom of love, instead of crushing it with the disappointment of boredom and final oblivion. It is not the results of our own speculation, but the golden harvest of what we have lived through and suffered through, that has power to enrich the heart and nourish the spirit.

Thanks to your mercy, O infinite God, I know something about you not only through concepts and words, but through experience.… You have descended upon me in water and the Spirit, in my baptism… Then my reason with its extravagant cleverness was still silent. Then without asking me, you made your self my poor heart's destiny.

You have seized me; I have not "grasped" you.… Now that you live in me, my spirit is filled with something more than pale, empty words about reality, words whose tremendous variety and prolific confusion serve only to perplex and weary me. In baptism, Father, you have spoken your Word into my being… the Word in which all reality and all life subsists, endures, and has its being.

Oh, grow in me, enlightened me, shine forth ever stronger in me, eternal Light, sweet Light of my soul.… May you alone enlightened me, you alone speak to me, may all that I know apart from you be nothing more than a chance traveling companion on the journey toward you.

Be now my consolation, O Lord, now when all knowledge, even your revelation expressed in human language, fails to still the yearning of my heart.… You yourself are my knowledge, the knowledge that is light and life. You yourself are my knowledge, experience, and love. You are the God of the one and only knowledge that is eternal, the knowledge that is bliss without end.
Encounters with Silence, Ch. 4

No comments: