Thursday, July 19, 2012

Why is Jesus' Yoke "Easy"?

In the gospel for today Jesus says, "For my yoke is easy, and my burden light." Mt. 11:30. Our pastor asked, why is this so? He answered, "what you do out of love, is easier to do." My commentary (Living With Christ, July 2012, at 142) reads: Jesus seeks to satisfy the law in accordance with its original purpose, i.e. "when it is serving the end for which it was made."

Is there a link between acting out of love and acting to serve the end for what something is made? Yes, for love serves the other's good, which is the "end" for which the other was made. To serve that end and to love, are the same thing. When I sacrifice for another's good, I love her and work for her proper good, her proper end.

So, Jesus counsels, to carry an easy yoke, a light burden, act out of love, which is to act for the good or "end" of each person.

No comments: