Tuesday, August 20, 2019

A SARCOPHAGUS AND THE SINNERS

Tomb of St. Francis
Roman Brandstaetter was a Polish poet (1906-1987). The poem that follows was published in a collection of poems entitled Francis and Clare edited by Janet McCann and David Craig. I felt a need to return to this volume of poetry and it is curious that this poem found me after two posts consisting of excerpts from another Polish author, Sholem Asch.

Two parts of the readings from the previous Sunday's scripture readings struck me as meaningful when I heard them.

"keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus, the leader and perfecter of faith" Heb 12:2    and Jesus' words,
“I have come to set the earth on fire, and how I wish it were already blazing!" Lk 12:49

Am I allowing Jesus to perfect my faith? Is there a fire ablaze in my heart? Am I dousing it out or fueling it with love?

Our poet appeals to St. Francis to help us set our hearts on fire.

A SARCOPHAGUS AND THE SINNERS

We came to you from afar,
Because we want to be good,
O Sarcophagus.

We seldom manage.
Perhaps never.

Evil torments us
Like black goats.

We torture the people
We love.

We wrong our neighbor
Whom we want to help.

Behind our every sacrifice
Stands egoism
Like a skinny prompter.

One beautiful poem
Is more important to us
Than a good deed.

That's why we speak to you
By way of crying,
O Sarcophagus.

A long examination of conscience
Can only be told in tears.

Sail on the brackish waters of our tears
Saint Francis.

Sail on a crusade
Against our sins,
O singing Middle Ages.

Sail, sail,
You bird song.

Can a new man be born
From a tear?

Create us from our tears,
Create us from our cries,
From our stormy cries,
Dear Saint Francis.

Your sarcophagus reposes
On our prayers
As on expectant columns.
                  Roman Brandstaetter



No comments: