Monday, February 2, 2009

More on "Contented Worldliness"

C. S Lewis’ letters serve the purpose of exposing to us our spiritual weaknesses. Those aspects of our nature that the devil makes use of to gain control of our lives. If these weaknesses were apparent to us and if the means to strengthen ourselves against them were equally as apparent, what need would we have of C. S. Lewis.

The gospel message is simple. There is no need to intellectualize our behaviors and attitudes. We are human and we have very few weaknesses that are unique to ourselves. When it comes to weaknesses we share many. This is an essential component of the command to love one another. Only in the acknowledgement of our common weaknesses do we find the ability to forgive others and maintain a charitable attitude toward them.

It is not “dirty laundry” I am seeking and perhaps the word “indict” was a poor choice. Yet, it is through my not understanding my weaknesses that I personally make myself vulnerable to evil. I can be carried away through false concepts and rationalizations to the detriment of my soul. As I said, such false concepts and rationalizations are not unique to me. If I need the help of others to recognize them, then as a Christian, undergoing a progressive conversion, I seek from my fellow Christians an identification of what these weaknesses might be.
I do not seek to be personally accused nor do I seek personal confessions from my fellow Christians. Knowing what sin is does not make me a sinner. Personal knowledge of spiritual and moral weaknesses of course makes me a perfect one to point out such weaknesses and, if I am seeking a progressive conversion and I am willing to minister to my community, it provides me an opportunity to reveal how I am fighting these weaknesses. On the other hand, it does not mean that I cannot understand spiritual pitfalls even though I may not be guilt of them myself. It does not mean that I can’t understand the meaning of ‘contented worldliness’ unless I am guilt of that attitude.

No comments: