Wednesday, January 6, 2016

"Prayer", Hans Urs von Balthasar

When searching my small library for a book, I cannot help but pass by my shelf of von Balthsar's writings. His seventeen volume Trilogy, The Glory of the Lord, Theo Drama, and Theo Logic are neatly lined up in a row. I've only made it to Volume 7 of The Glory of the Lord. Yet, each time I pass my eyes over this shelf I invariably grab a small paperback volume entitled Prayer. 
This most recent time I pulled it off the shelf, fully forgetting my reason for scanning my book shelves, and I began to reread some of the book. Now, someone told me once, (my spiritual director I think) that it is not the number of books that you read that is a most important thing, but, the number of books that you re-read. I have not re-read the entire book. Each time I pick it up I go to certain sections that struck me as particularly meaningful or especially beautifully phrased.

I offer here a brief snippet from the very last chapter in the book, Cross and Resurrection
.
But “God shows his love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us … while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son” (Rom.5:8,10) … The sentence which in principle determined our fate was performed upon Jesus Christ on behalf of sinners: in him we were crucified and condemned to death; in him we were made the recipients of grace and adopted as children. In him and without any activity on our part, God’s anger toward us has changed into tender, caring love. All this has become a reality, in and through Christ, in the Father’s heaven: our task is to let it come true in all its fullness in our temporal existence on earth.

In the New Covenant “what we ought to do” follows from “what we are”. We are justified and should act accordingly. We have died with Christ, we have been buried and raised with him, and this should determine our behavior: we should no longer live in sin; the “old man” is dead and we should actually regard him as such, daily encountering his resistance to the death sentence served upon him, making him die daily (Rom 6). pp. 295-296

No comments: