Wednesday, March 9, 2022

The Shepherd left the rest and came to earth to find her ... he found her, he did not lead her, but carried her back!

 


From the previous post:

“ …we cannot deny his providence towards the rest of his creatures; but the Bride claims his attention for herself.”

St. Bernard continues:

3. It is obvious that what the Apostle says about oxen[1] has no reference to the Bride; he who loves her and gave himself for her[2] must needs care for her.[3] Is she not that lost sheep[4] whose care came before even that of the heavenly flock?[5] The Shepherd left the rest and came to earth to find her. He sought her diligently, and when he found her[6]he did not lead her, but carried her back! Then on her account he called the angels together and celebrated a new and joyful festival with her. How then can it be said that he will not care for her,[7]when he deigned to carry her on his shoulders? She is not mistaken,[8]then, when she says, 'The Lord takes thought for me',[9]nor is she deceived when she says, 'The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me'[10] or when she says anything else which shows God's love for her. Thus it is she speaks of the Lord of Hosts as her beloved, and glories[11] that he who judges all things in tranquility[12]cares for her. Why should she not glory? She has heard him sing to her, ’Can a woman forget her child, and not have compassion on him? And even if she does forget him, yet I will not forget you.'[13] Again, 'The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous.'[14] Now what is the bride but the congregation of the righteous? What is she but the generation of those who seek the face of the Bridegroom?[15] It cannot be that he should incline to her, and she not inclined to him. Therefore she says, 'He inclines to me and I to him. He inclines to me because he is good and gracious;[16] I incline to him because I am not ungrateful. He gives me grace from his graciousness;[17] I give him gratitude for grace. He has a care for my deliverance and my salvation; I for his honor and the fulfillment of his will. He has a care for me, and for no other, for I am his only dove;[18] I have a care for him and for no other;[19] do not hear the voice of others, nor do I listen to those who say "Look, here is Christ" or "look, here he is!"[20] It is the Church who speaks.

CISTERCIAN FATHERS SERIES: NUMBER FORTY - BERNARD OF CLAIRVAUX – ON THE SONG OF SONGS IV - Sermon 68.3


[1] 1 Cor 9:9  [2] Gal 1:4  [3] Lk 10:35  [4] Mt 18:12  [5] 1 Pet2:23  [6] Lk 15:5  [7] Lk 10:35  

[8] Heb 2:11  [9] Ps 40:18  [10] Ps 138:8  [11] Wis 12:18  [12] 1 Cor 2:15  [13] Is 49:15  

[14]  Ps 34:16  [15] Ps 24:6  [16] Jl 2:13  [17] Jn 1:16  [18] Sg 6:8  [19] Jn 10:15     [20] Mk13:21

 

No comments: