Thursday, December 26, 2013

Fervor for the Gospel

29. Other Church institutions, basic communities and small communities, movements, and forms of association are a source of enrichment for the Church, raised up by the Spirit for evan- gelizing different areas and sectors. Frequently they bring a new evangelizing fervour and a new capacity for dialogue with the world whereby the Church is renewed. But it will prove beneficial for them not to lose contact with the rich reality of the local parish and to participate readily in the overall pastoral activity of the particular Church. This kind of integration will prevent them from concentrating only on part of the Gospel or the Church, or becoming nomads without roots.

Having myself been re-evangelized by the Cursillo movement, I found the Pope's observation to be especially relevant to me. I've been at times steeped in both Cursillo activity and in parish activity. The Cursillo movement possesses an enthusiasm and devotion to the work of the Holy Spirit that is difficult to find in parish life. Its dedication to bring the world the Christ is an evangelizing attitude that is not prevalent in the parish. In fact, I'm beginning to see a movement in the Church toward a spiritual interiority reminiscent of my childhood, pre-Vatican II days. Then, the Liturgy was strictly a personal encounter with Jesus in which I repented of my sins. Of course it is that. But, the idea that I would invade the personal spiritual space of my neighbor by openly professing my faith was never emphasized. My responsibility to joyfully proclaim the Gospel was not taught to me. The idea that I would  "bring a new evangelizing fervour and a new capacity for dialogue with the world" was never mentioned.
The Pope's admonition to certain movements to  "prevent them from concentrating only on part of the Gospel or the Church, or becoming nomads without roots" can be equally applied to the Parish community.


No comments: