Sunday, December 29, 2013

The Bond of Perfection

Like many folks, I often joke, "Just tell me what to do, and I'll do it.  I need some direction.!"

Today's second reading from the Feast of the Holy Family (Col. 3:12-21) gives all the direction you need for good family life.  In fact, I think it's about as succinct a statement of how to live a Christian life as I have heard.

Put on heartfelt compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience, bearing with one another and forgiving one another (if one has a grievance against another) as the Lord has forgiven you.  And over all these put on love, that is, the bond of perfection.  And let the peace of Christ control your hearts, the peace into which you were also called in one body.  And be thankful.  Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, as in all wisdom you teach and admonish one another, singing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.
 Well, just the ticket, but . . . not so easy to implement.  A 2014 resolution?

1 comment:

Bob Calamia said...

Tom is back! I agree Tom. What greater reflection of God's love for us than the love a parent bestows on a child. We all practice parental love to varying degrees of imperfection. Lord, perfect us!