Friday, March 9, 2012

The Joy of Children

We have a new refugee family in our parish: Gregory and his wife Mary, their three children, and Mary pregnant with their fourth. Gregory is about 33 years old. They lived before in Idaho (for one year) and just arrived in Wheaton this week. Gregory told me that he asked his son David (age 5) if he missed Idaho and wanted to go back. (This was 2 days after they arrived.) David replied, "No dad, I have too many friends here."

In fact, when I was at Gregory and Mary's apartment I saw a gaggle of kids, barefoot, washing this way and that in front of the apartment, like the ebb and flow of a tide. The kids could find plenty to occupy themselves with on the concrete sidewalk, and in the small apartment, climbing on furniture and exploring, and generally creating a commotion!

Gregory came here to be with his brother and nephew. He said there were few Burmese families in Twin Falls, Idaho. He is happy here. Judging from his kids, I could see why. I could see a real community forming, and who wouldn't want to be a part of that! I told Gregory how happy we were to have him in our parish community of St. Michael, and in our town of Wheaton!

One always finds commonality with others through children, who are a common denominator for all. To be pro-life is to be pro-children, to see all kids as a great blessing from God, made from love.

Listen to Stevie Wonder, "Isn't She Lovely?"

Listen to Whitney Houston, "Children are our Future."

Listen to Martina McBride sing "In My Daughter's Eyes"

Listen to Celine Dionne, "My Precious One"

No comments: