Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Tragedy and Hope

We experienced a tragedy at our office in Ireland. An employee came to work and hanged himself, leaving behind a wife and four children. He left a note describing his long struggle with depression. How sad for us, for his family, for him.

What can one do in response but pray for God's healing touch for his family. And for him. It's not too late, though he is in God's hands. After all, he was there too while living on this earth.

This weekend I spoke to a friend I happened to see in the park. We spoke about our families, our children, our dreams for them, and the vicissitudes all can expect. She said something I want to remember. She told me that she asked her high school son to pray now for his future spouse, that God would preserve her, protect her, help her grow in virtue and love.

That brought home to me that love is not bound by time. We can love backwards and forwards, so to speak. So I can pray for this man's rescue before his trial, as all can, and does, happen in God's time.

Listen to Cyndi Lauper, "Time after Time"

Listen to Nazareth sing "Love Hurts"

Listen to Bee Gees, "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart?"

No comments: