Thursday, February 16, 2012

Ask Me About My Son!

My wife and I had chewed our finger nails down to the nub. Waiting . . . waiting . . . no answer. Then finally the news: a letter in the mail saying, "Congratulations, you've been accepted into medical school." Hooray! We couldn't be happier for our son Rob, after waiting for what seemed like months for this word.

I felt like climbing to the rooftop and shouting the news to the neighborhood. (Hey, the world wide web is even better!) I told everyone I met. I wanted to put on a sandwich board reading, "Ask me about my son!"

I'm about as proud as pink of our son. In our (unbiased!) mind, Rob deserved to be accepted because he has been working hard in school for many years -- ever since 4th grade at St. Michael school when his teacher, Ms. Wallgat "turned him around" and turned him on to pleasure of learning.

On reflection, I realize how nice it is to feel proud of one's child. How special that child is. And if I feel that way about my son Rob, shouldn't I feel the same about each of my kids? After all, each is so unique, so uniquely gifted, such a gift to our family and to the world in which he or she lives. And so I'm led and challenged to think of (and love) each child just as ardently as I do my soon-to-be medical student. And isn't that our challenge with regard to each person we know or meet? Isn't that recognizing Christ in each person?

According to philosopher Harry Frankfurt, "Among relationships between humans, the love of parents for their infants or small children is the species of caring that comes closest to offering recognizably pure instances of love." The Reasons of Love, at p. 43. I can add that, based on present evidence, there is no reason to love one's adult children any less! And I'm going to look for evidence to make sure I continue to do so.

Listen to John Lennon, "Beautiful Boy"

Listen to Gary Allen, "Tough Little Boys"

Listen to Anita Baker, "You Bring Me Joy"

1 comment:

Bob Calamia said...

Tom, your sharing of you family life is much appreciaed. Far too few of us men offer the kinds of thoughts you've shared. Our culture can use more testaments to the joys of family life. Thanks.